The location for Roundup on February 24th was held at Somis Community Church, a new location for us. The facilities were perfect with the sanctuary used for the concert, a green room, a kitchen/eating area and plenty of room for jamming.
The event started at 2:00 with an afternoon concert in the church’s sanctuary by the wonderful talent represented by the various song circles and hoots in Songmakers. The church even provided their own sound man leaving some of our key members free to enjoy the concert. Dana Charette did an awesome job of emceeing the concert with his impersonation of Groucho Marx.
The following are the members who performed for us at the concert:
Ken Krupnik, Sympatico Music (Bob Bueling & Pat Cronin), Eva Schwerb, Mission Oaks Song Circle, Dale Carter & Linda Moore, Rufus T. Firfly, Simon Lucas, Bryan Chow, Mike & Mary Zangerle, Doug Kerr & Linda Szitkar, Joe Conversino, Sam Gross, Bill Johnson, Jack Zigray, Agoura Hills Song Circle, Bell Arts Song Circle, Arnie Gordon, Steve Linsky, Lien Borg, Camarillo Song Circle, Jerome Rubin, Steve Berman & Sandy Lessner, Dave Gilman, East Valley Hoot, Thousand Oaks Hoot, Linnae Richards and Camarillo Hoot.
New Board Members
Voting for the new board members took place throughout the afternoon. The new board members who were voted in were Bill Johnson, Sam Gross and Linnea Richards.
Following the concert, our president Steve Berman awarded the following members for their behind the scene contributions to our club.
1. Don Truby – For many years of presenting the well-attended Songwriting Workshops at our musical camping weekends at Kenney Grove Park in Fillmore.
2. Mary Zangerle – or continuing service as a Board Member, Bard Chord Assistant Editor, and keeping us connected as our new innovative Webmistress
3. Janice Gelencser – For years of service to Songmakers as Music in the Mountains Committee Leader, hoot and musical campout leader, Concert Mistress of Ceremonies, Recording Secretary, Board Member and to the folk music community as the cofounder of the Gelencser House Concerts
4. Patty Quintana – For 13 more years (since her last certificate), as a Hoot Hostess, Board Member, Roundup Chairperson and the Musical Mistress of the Kitchen
5. Simon Lucas – For several decades as a Hoot Host and Leader, concert Master of Ceremonies, Board Member, Elections Chair, Music Campout Coordinator and our current Vice-President
No one goes hungry at our Songmaker potlucks.
Finally, it was time for jamming with two great song circles that took us all the way till about 10:00. Thank you to everyone who attended and helped to make this year’s Round-Up a big success.
Do you have any suggestions for next year? Do you want to be part of next year’s plans as part of the newly formed Roundup Committee? You can email at gelencser.andy @gmail.com.